Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Yo USA!

I arrived in the US of A about a month ago, and I am loving it so far!

First 2 weeks were indeed tough, though I am now getting adjusted into the new lifestyle. This place isn't too different from India, except that they drive on the wrong side of the road. One month in here, and I still look on both sides of the road(sometimes even up into the sky, just for symmetry) before I cross,coz i cant remember which side to look. :)

Another big difference in my life is that I have to do a lot of shopping. Right from veggies to trash cans, everything has to be preplanned and bought. There are 2 big supermarkets which are 10 mins away by bus. One has food stuff and another has everything else. Bus has definite times, and is free for university students. We take a bus, and as soon as we reach, we decide which bus to return by and time our shopping accordingly. As soon as trolley is full, we take stock of how much we will be able to carry, which limits how much we can buy in one go. I have made endless trips to both the shops to buy just the essential stuff. I so loathe the fact that I will have to keep shopping every week, to keep the pantry stocked up, a thing I never worried about at home.

Univ is great, profs, staff and students are really friendly. The way treat students is amazing. If the professor interviews you, he also tells you all about what he can offer you, and also gives you the right to take the final decision of whether or not to join his research group. I like way these professors work with open doors to their offices.

Lots of chinese here, 8 in my class of 13. I am still struggling with chinese names and chinese english, both of which demand concentrated listening effort.

My roomie is really nice, and we gel well together. We are both crazy, and laugh a lot...

Troy is a really small place, uphill Troy has nothing except the university. The lone eatery is a Pizzeria, which has 3 veggie choices. But the pizzas are tasty. :)

A great place to live for 4 years.And attitude is everything, I realise... :)

2 comments:

ishani said...

Hey

I'm glad your happy.....your blog is very interestingly written..i'll keep coming back to it when I have time.

We are all fine, and wish you all the best for these four years

Atreyee said...

Agree totally with Ishani didi, so glad you're happy :D
The lens incident would've freaked me out totally, you know if i'd been you all my relatives in India would be praying for my "lost" eyesight! (pun intended)
And you've been blogging quite a lot..am proud of you!