Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Forgetfulness and me

I can go on and on about this... but crowning glory today...

I must never let anyone borrow my laptop.... it has all passwords saved in some or the other way...a person with the intention can easily defame me, rob me and even write in my blog, if he/she catches hold of my laptop....

My brother, is going to India.... needed to buy tickets... wanted to my credit card details... i don't remember the 16 digits even after 1 full yr of possessing the card and using for a no. of online transactions.

I try to forget my wallet at home so that I can successfully resist the vending machines, cafes, and disappoint muggers...

So, it so happened that I din't have my card on me, and my brother wanted the details immediately... I told him the CVV no... and distracted him by telling him my name, and address... tried to buy time before he would ask me for the magical 16 digits....

He did, and then I tried the next trick... told him the first 4, and the last 4, and asked him to guess the rest... while furiously writing out various permutations to see which looked right... and I did this writing in the square letters, like those on the card, hoping to trigger my visual memory...

He got quite irritated and impatient by now, and understandably so...So I pulled up my last alternative... My roomie, who opened her bank a/c around the same time as me, had the first 9 digits similar... and if she told me, I would be able to remember the remaining 3...

But my "always there for me usually" roomie had another deadline, and asked me to wait... :( :(

And my brother called me up 3 times in the meantime...

My final solution, shocked me, and convinced me why I should never leave my laptop unattended for even a minute...

I went on to greyhound website, selected a random purchase, and went on to the checkout section... I typed the first digit in the box, and... Lo and behold!.... the whole no. appeared in the drop down menu... I copy pasted the no. to my brother's chat window, and felt incredibly stupid... When I feel incredibly stupid, I Blog...

BTW,

I am trying to chronicle my incredible acts of forgetfulness, and I am hoping that most of my readers will have some contributions to make on that front.... :)

5 comments:

o s mukundan said...

Eat memory plus tablet...but you should remember to take the tablet:):):)

piali said...

That was pretty resourceful..your laptop is a gold mine :)
I should check mine to see if I do that too.

The Silver Gargoyle said...

lol.. the feature is called auto save. :P
Living with so many IT/CS kids, you must learn computer jargon like we learn physics!

Sruthi Muralidharan said...

Everyone I know thinks it is not a Big deal, to forget credit card nos. So, I rest my case happily.

Raji said...

I have been intending to check your blog these few months, but forgetting it entirely when I am near a computer. :-)

You can join my club for people with very bad memory. I am so forgetful that I am occasionally at a loss when someone asks me how old I am and I have to compute it from my birth year! ;-) I am at awe for all those great minds out there that can remember other people's birthdays and not fail to wish them.

Good post and keep writing....